Branching into 3D Scanning

While getting into 3D scanning I wanted to try to focus on using a common method of with the kinect instead of using a traditional 3D scanner. Instead of using a scanner it would save on cost while sacrificing quality.

Scanning myself

To begin i printed a handheld mount for the kinect to use to scan it. Initially the handheld mount ran into way to many issues to use as the final product. I ran into an issue with lighting, movement speed and jittery scan results due to it being handheld.

Fixing Jittery movement

This was easily the most notable issue, accounting for the loss of quality it wasn’t a viable method for scanning so, using what i could i positioned the kinect in a clothing drawer, now to fix movement speed.

Fixing lighting and speed

To fix the lighting issue i angled a phone’s flash to point at the center frame to create a controlled source of light next to the kinect. That worked well enough to capture the smaller details you can slightly notice on the eyelids and nose. As for the speed that was the challenging part. Movement speed was fundamental so the infrared scanner can capture all the minor details in the poorly setup light that was available. so i angled a small office chair and moved ever so slowly to make sure to capture all the minor facial details for what i could.

The aftermath

Initially starting with SkaKinect, then trying ReconstructMe. I found the best software for ease of use and functionality was SkaKinect, a lot of the features are pay-walled. This was an issue since the primary goal was to make the cheapest 3D scan i could. After some minor digging through google. Microsoft 3D Scan came up, this is easily the best option made free and easy to use by Microsoft.

Cleaning the model

Once you finish a scan you will more often then not get fragmentation and irregularities generated by the IR scanner on the kinect. Using MeshMixer I went in and cleaned any noticeable fragmentation comparing it to a picture of myself for accuracy I cleaned it as best as possible.

Printing the model

Printing the model was notably easy, with the flat base, no heavy curves it printed in under 2 hours total. Using Hatchbox White ABS at 0.20mm and spraying the heating bed with a thin layer of hairspray.

Knowing what I know now, this is only truly viable for models that will be tested in the field later and redesigned around as a base. For the $30 cost of a V1 Kinect the outcome is incredible for the total cost accounting the price of filament used was under a dollar.

20160420_114738

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: